Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Premature Labor?

Christie called me around 2:30 in the morning as she was having contractions every minute. The Drs determined that it might be serious so I went in. Once there I was with her a bit before they moved her to the delivery floor.

Our plan had been to give the babies steroids (betamethazone) on Thurs. This was two days earlier.

However we looked at the facts and the odds were about the same for 25 weeks and 24 weeks and 5 days (equally not that good but a fighting chance). So it made sense to try to buy 48 hours for the steroids to take maximum effect.

So on the delivery room floor we decided to start her on magnesium sulfate (to arrest the labor).

This slowed it down a bit to contractions from 1-4 minutes but didn't stop it. Things were tense.

Then we had them up the magnesium dose and give her more sedatives and that did the trick. Around 8pm things calmed down to a contraction every 20 minutes.

1 comment:

Tina said...

I know thta must have been so very cary. I have worked High Risk L&D, so I have care for people in your situation and the strength I saw amazed me everytime. I hope someday your children know what a hero you turly are. Gog Bless you both.